Day Seven -- Our First Visit to a Winery
Today's highlight was a visit to Bodega La Rural, one of the oldest wineries in Argentina and the only winery here with its own museum. We took a tour and learned how wine was made during colonial times and how it's currently produced. We also learned that it was first produced in Argentina so that Catholic priests could use it in religious ceremonies. Argentine wine was until recently not highly regarded outside of the country and thus was never exported. When the national consumption of wine began to decline (due to a newfound preference for beer), Argentine wineries decided to upgrade their facilities so they could compete internationally. The signature Argentine wine is a red variety called Malbec.On a side note, ever since we started watching The Amazing Race, we've become much more aware of how long it takes us to get from one place to another. We like to "strategize" while we are in transit about how we would get ahead if we were in The Race. So we were disappointed when we got lost briefly on our way to the winery and I began to question whether we'd be able to win.
-Tom

2 Comments:
I finally took the time to look at your blog, because you know I have so much free time! Anyhow, I am so impressed and excited that I can travel vicariously with you. I do enjoy the laughs too! Maybe Elva should do the majority of the commentary. Just kidding Thomas! And by the way, let the woman eat her bread! Looks like you're off to an amazing start. Can't wait to read about your next adventure.
I LOVE that show! The Game Show Network plays reruns! One of my former 5th graders got me hooked! I just love it!
Post a Comment
<< Home