D49 -- Driving the west coast
Early to bed and early to rise… that seems to be the motto in small-town NZ. I guess the 10:00 a.m. check-out times at the hotels make sense in the light of the fact that restaurants close at 8 or 8:30. Visitors from places like
Today we drove to Tauranga Bay Seal Colony. There were many more seals than in the colony we saw while kayaking, but you couldn’t get nearly as close and instead looked down from cliffs above the colony. It was still great, though, and I loved seeing all the pups playing and the adults lounging in their natural environment.
From Tauranga we drove down the west coast, which is supposed to rival coastal drives in
We stopped in
After that, we stopped in a town called Hokitika, famous for its jade carvers. I did all the driving today, and it went pretty well except for the occasional “windshield wiper instead of turn signal” issue. When we got into Fox, where we’ll be staying for a few days, we bought a few groceries and I made salads and cup-of-soup. It’s the closest thing I’ve done to cooking in two months!
-Elva





1 Comments:
buck looks like a seal.
Post a Comment
<< Home