Friday, March 17, 2006

D74 -- Rushing to Cairns

We woke up early to catch our flight to Cairns (pronounced “cans” - it's an Aussie accent thing). We were really tired, having stayed up very late last night. I was in a big rush, though we were staying right across the street from the airport. We had a problem parking because I got lost trying to find the Avis spots, and so we rushed to check-in, with Elva getting a bit annoyed. I admit that I have a big problem about time, especially when it comes to airports, and I get really anxious about being late. I think I am genetically wired so that it is virtually impossible for me to relax in airport situations, even when I know we have plenty of time.

In Cairns we stayed at another backpacker hostel called Bohemia Resort. Peter, our host in Sydney, recommended it because he is friends with the owners. We were a little concerned when we checked in, largely because we remembered our night at the Chapel Hill backpackers. But the rate was great (US$50) and it looked nice enough. There were a lot of young people, similar to Xbase in Auckland, but for some reason we didn't feel as out of place. The room was actually quite nice, although it had a strong bleach odor (we tried not to think what would have caused them to use so much bleach). The room had a TV, a/c and a balcony. The a/c was great, as Cairns is in the tropics and it was HUMID and HOT. We were craving Mexican so we had dinner at a place that the hotel clerk recommended to us. It was pretty bad. We shared beef and chicken fajitas. They were ok (very bland), but the rice and beans were awful. We miss Texas!

-Thomas

P.S. We didn't take any pictures today, so I've included this one from the Twelve Apostles parking lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home