D82 -- Touring Korea's past
Today was a low-key day. We started the morning with a trip to Namdaemun, home to the biggest shopping market in Seoul. Namdaemun means “great south gate” in Korean, and the area is named for the old south gate to the city that dates back to 1398. We were lucky enough to arrive just when they were changing the ceremonial guards at the gate, something I wasn't expecting because I don't remember there being any guards when I lived in Korea. The ceremonial garb was very cool, and it was neat to see the contrast between the traditionally dressed guards and the modern city surrounding them.
After Namdaemun we hopped into a cab to go to Songbukdong, which is where my family lived when my dad retired and began working for Texas Instruments. When the cab pulled up to my old house, I was shocked to see that it had been torn down and a larger home was being built in its place. Oh well. I guess everything can't stay the same forever.
Our next stop after Songbukdong was Gyeongbokgung Palace, which is one of the largest palace complexes in South Korea. The palace was first built in 1395, but it was twice torn down by the Japanese and had to be rebuilt. It was a bit of dreary day, so none of our pictures came out all that great.

In the evening Mr. Huchun treated us to a great dinner at Sables, which is located in the same hotel where Sean worked as a bell hop.
-Tom

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home