D86 -- Back to school
Margaret made us migas this morning. Mmmm... migas! I was pretty tired - I'd stayed up all night baking a Texas Sheet Cake for Thomas' birthday. It's not until April 23rd but I thought it would be fun to celebrate early with family. Thomas seemed tired too so we decided to ditch the sightseeing in favor of attending Emma's 5th grade talent show at Taipei American School.
On the way there we stopped at a wet market, which is a market that has both fresh foods as well as non-perishables. It was much more sanitary than ones we'd seen in Hong Kong and Sri Lanka. There was only one small section (dried fish I think ) that smelled strongly, which is the usual problem I have with local markets. There were some very interesting items for sale, though. Sea cucumbers (shaped like cucumbers but gelatinous-looking), whole dead chickens (some of them black), cow organs (including a few hearts), pig feet, clams or mussels sticking out of their shells, and some interesting fruits, vegetables, and flowers.We got to Taipei American School and bumped into Lili and her teacher on the way to the lunch room. She seemed very nice and said that if she'd known we were comin
g she would have had us talk to the kids about our travels. Emma's talent show was interesting. There were some good acts, including a young pianist, a clarinet player, and two students who spun Chinese yo-yos. Then there were the three skits. One consisted of an old man and his grandson. The whole skit all the kids did was find ways to beat up, suffocate, and/or kick the grandfather in a Three Stooges sort of way, except without any discernible plot. I wondered how the Taiwanese parents there felt about the skit since respect for elders is so important there. All the kids laughed, so I guess that's what's considered good humor in the 5th grade. I can't wait to have kids! The second skit had a promising start but was completely incomprehensible. Emma's skit was definitely the best – a witty and funny take on American Idol. She was Simon, and of course found all three contestants to have no talent. We ate lunch with her and her friends afterward in the school cafeteria.
After the girls got home from school they helped me make frosting for Thomas' cake, and then we left to meet Damon and some of their friends for dinner at Din Tai Fung. It's an international chain based in Taipei that specializes in buns and dumplings. It was a neat place - especially the toilets. They have warmed seats and can squirt your bum in 2 places!
We surprised Thomas with the cake and ice cream, and everone opened presents – souveniers for Margaret, Damon, Emma, and Lili, and a birthday present for Thomas.
-Elva

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home