D129 - Adios y bon jour
After lazing around Madrid for days, we decided to squeeze in some culture before leaving Spain. We went to the Museo del Prado, but the line was long. Thomas didn't want to see art THAT badly, so we split up and he went back to the hotel to get our luggage. I only had about 45 minutes, so while I usually dawdle in museums and try to see a little of everything, I now was in “the zone” with my audioguide. I went straight to Goya, and then finished up with Velasquez. I've wanted to see Velasquez's “Las Meninas” since we first arrived in Spain. It's one of the most famous paintings in the world, but the real reason I wanted to see it was because I read about it in my college Spanish textbook a decade ago and have always remembered Las Meninas. Good grief - did I just admit to having been in college 10 years ago?!?! Velasquez didn't disappoint, and although my time at the Prado was short I feel like I saw most of the highlights.
Thomas met me outside and we jumped in a cab and made one last sight seeing stop...
and then checked in at the airport. I figured this was my last chance to try Spanish dishes, so I had a tortilla de patatas and some wine at a tapas bar there. Not bad! And they're vegetarian! I should have been eating them all along!!!
During our flight I listened to some French lessons we'd downloaded to our iPods. I sure am going to miss being able to communicate easily in Spain. The last time we were here was on our honeymoon. We arrived in Paris by train and what both of us remember most was trying futilely for half an hour to find an ATM or to find someone who could speak English to help us find an ATM. Well, some things never change. This time, we had trouble finding which belt our luggage would be coming on. We figured it out, though, and thanks to my handy language lessons I was able to ask the man at the subway ticket booth if he understands English in fairly decent French.
When we emerged from the subway my first thought was, “Ah, Paris.” It really is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. It was neat to see the hotel we stayed at on our honeymoon, pass cafes we'd eaten at, etc. Thomas had found us an apartment in St. Germain des Pres. A woman from the rental agency, Ulrika, met us at the apartment. She said it is large by Paris standards. Good grief! It can't be more than 400 square feet. I got a kick out of the washing machine. It's so tiny! The other interesting thing about the apartment is that the toilet is separate from the shower and sink. It's in a little closet as you walk in the apartment. Ulrika said that Japanese visitors prefer it that way. They don't like for others to hear them using the bathroom. I'm with them. If we ever have a house built I am instructing that extra insulation be used around all bathroom walls!
We were so excited to have a cooktop and fridge that we immediately set out for the grocery store. Home cooking here we come!
-Elva

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home